We were discussing the envisaged partnership between KCDN and AYT in promoting Good Governance and Good Leadership as part of The Monthly Nationwide Clean-up Campaign. We all know that the fight for Good Leadership and Governance gained momentum in the 1980s and we had men and women of substance who offered themselves to be the kind of leadership that we all wanted.
We had Raila Amolo Odinga leading from the front line. We had Paul Muite, Gitobu Imanyara, Martha Karua, Kiraitu Murungi, James Orengo, Anyang' Nyong'o, Maalim Mohamed and we had Kepta Ombati, Cyprian Nyamwamu, Maurice Odhiambo, Philo Ikonya, Anne Njogu, Oduor Ong'wen and of course Odhiambo T Oketch and others.
This team was able guided by the doyen of Kenyan politics Jaramogi Oginga Odinga, Masinde Muliro, Martin Shikuku, Kenneth Matiba, Charles Rubia and Mwai Kibaki.
This team and many more Kenyans succeeded in fighting for the repeal of Section 2A of the Constitution and Kenya reverted to Multy-Party Democracy. We then went the full way and lost in the fisrt 2 Multy-Party elections due to our own silliness but ultimately, we were able to get Mzee Mwai Kibaki to the Presidency in 2002 December.
These were men and women who offered themselves to be the Alternative Leadership that Kenya so desperately needed at that time.
The team that we put in place have had their fair share of scandals. They immediately planned Anglo-Leasing, Triton, Maize and they ate unashamedly money meant for the Free Primary Education. And all Kenyans are doing is to make noise and make threats. No one or no Team is coming up to offer Kenya a leadership that is different from the one we are criticizing.
We are yet to see an emerging set of Alternative Leaders that Kenya can look up to to help liberate Kenya from the current crop of leaders; leaders who want to increase their salaries to enable them start paying taxes! We all know that corruption in this Government has been so refined that they eat without leaving any traces of evidence nowadays. They plan greater scandals without shame and they care less even if unga and petrol go beyond the reach of the common man.
Now we are asking;
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to take over from our current rudderless clowns in parliament?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to take over from Francis Atwoli and the rudderless crop of Trade Unionists?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to take over from the dying Kenya National Union of Teachers?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to take over from our rudderless Sports Administrators?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to take over from our compromised Student Leadership?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to steer the affairs of the ever barking Civil Society?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to revamp the toothless Law Society of Kenya?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to reinforce the faith of the people on Christ?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders to stand up for the rights of the Muslims?
- Where are the emerging crop of leaders prepared to be the people's Watchman?
- Where are they?
We want to invite leaders to join us in our campaigns and help make Kenya Clean.
If it is to be, it is up to me. A Clean Kenya Starts With me. A Peaceful Kenya is my Responsibility.
- A Better World- www.sofdi.com
- Akiba Uhaki Foundation- www.akibauhaki.org
Disclaimer; The Monthly Nationwide Clean-up Campaign is about us Kenyans. It involves all Kenyans from the various regions, religious persuasions, political thinking and we do not discriminate against any Kenyans nor any region.
National Coordinator- Friends of KNH Maternity Unit
Odhiambo T Oketch is the current Chairman to the City Council of Nairobi Stakeholders Evaluation Team on Performance Contracting and Rapid Results Management. He is also Chair to the Nyamonye Catholic Church Development Fund.He was also the Co-Chair and Coordinator of The Great Nairobi Walk against Corruption that was held in Nairobi on the 22nd October 2010. He is the Convener of the upcoming 2nd Edition of the Great Nairobi Walk against Corruption to be held on the 21st October 2011 in Nairobi Kenya.